Blepharitis is chronic inflammation of the eyelids, often associated with a low-grade bacterial infection or a skin condition. It usually occurs in adults, possibly from abnormalities in oil gland function and changes in the bacterial colonies that normally live on the skin.
- Red eyelid margins
- Foreign body sensation in the eye
- Excessive tearing
- Crusty scaling around the eyelashes, especially upon waking
Blepharitis may be successfully controlled or eliminated with a long-term treatment program.
Drs. Fagadau & Hawk recommend daily treatment of inflammation around the eyelids with:
- Hot compresses on closed eyelids for 10 to 12 minutes
- Gentle scrubbing of the eyelid margins using an approved eye cleanser
- Antibiotic ointment at bedtime